Friday, September 7, 2012

9-6-12 Activities/Reflection

Field Notes:
Goals: More create sentences
           More phrase v. sentences (using run ons from own writings)
           Diagramming sentences

*Create sentences
       *"Their furious teacher bravely made a proposal to publicize the outrageous suggestion."
       *me: "How can you change the order of words and it still be a sentence?"
               *S/He moved bravely to the beginning.
               *I began my short rule about commas and s/he finished it for me.
        *I moved "Made a proposal" to the beginning and asked if that was still a sentence
               *No; discussed why
        *I switched words to say "To publicize the outrageous suggestion, their furious teacher bravely made a proposal" and asked if that was still a sentence.
               *Yes

*Asked about an objective summary
*Talking about inverted sentences in English

*Phrase or sentence?
         *"It is a famous..."
                  *"It needs a comma, but yes it's a sentence."
                  *Talked about how it's actually 2 sentences. Able to pick out the other two that were run-ons and figured out where to put periods.

*Diagrammed simple sentences and sentences with adjectives.
*Wrote 2 "Bare Bones" sentences.

**Think of a way to turn "Bare Bones" into full sentences...skeleton?

Reflection:
I don't remember if I mentioned the logic behind Create a Sentence and Phrase or Sentence. Because I have so few students for writing, I borrowed a tutor manual of the current Barton level for each student and selected words/phrases/sentences roughly from the same lesson the student is working.  Just to account for the other hour of reading tutoring each student receives, I did a few for future lessons as well.

The comma rule I mentioned I explain to students when they write sentences as part of their Barton reading tutoring. Overly simplified, if a sentence does not start with a "who/what" phrase, then you need a comma to separate the first phrase from the rest of the sentence. I'm sure there is a very technical way to explain that but 1) I never learned it myself and even if I did, I never use that knowledge so I've forgotten and 2) if I don't understand the technical rule, I KNOW my students won't. So I keep it simple. Any student in at least Level 5 knows what I mean by "who/what phrase" and that's about when they start mixing in complex sentences like that anyway.

I thought it was funny that my student didn't catch on to the first run-on sentence as being his/her own writing. Actually, I didn't say anything until the second one and only because s/he didn't seem to recognize it.

The "Bare Bones" activity is another "steal" from our academic therapist. She's giving me tons of ideas and resources for my instruction in this project.  She has a page of literal bone outlines for students to write the very most basic of sentences--a noun and verb (or as I often end up referring to it, a "who" and a "did what"). They're called "Bare Bones" because that's what they are--the bare minimum you need to make a sentence.  I wish I had a creative way to connect their expansion to something like a skeleton...not sure how that would work since each sentence is a bone. Maybe it would work for compound sentences?

No comments:

Post a Comment