Sunday, August 26, 2012

Action Research--An Introduction

My purpose for this blog is to track the successes, failures, and reflections as I work on my Action Research project as part of my Masters degree from Georgetown College.  Specifically, I will be considering the question "What are the effects of direct writing instruction for dyslexic students?"  I chose this topic because writing, authentic composition that is, seems to be a lacking component of my office's tutoring program.  We systematically teach students phonemic awareness, reading rules, and spelling patterns; however, the only writing they actually do is writing dictated words, phrases, and sentences.  I feel that if we want our students to truly internalize the rules we teach, they need to practice them in an authentic way.  Further, my background research suggested that reading and writing are not inherently linked for these students and they need specific instruction in writing.

A litte background: All of the students I have were tested and diagnosed with a language-processing disorder, or dyslexia.  That is the one thing all of my students have in common. From there, they splinter. Some have dysgraphia (difficulty writing), some have ADD/ADHD, some of those are medicated while others are not, some have additional sensory difficulties, some have large vocabularies and strong visual memories, some take ten minutes to tell a story and I have no idea what the story was about. Their ages range from kindergarten to high school, with most falling in the 4th and 5th grade range.

I tutor fifteen students on an individual basis.  All students are seen for two hours per week. Most students are seen twice a week after school, for one hour at a time. Because of some students' memory problems and attention difficulties, some are seen for often for less time.  Because of some students travel needs, they are seen once a week for a full two hours. Whenever possible, we try to work with schools to see students at a time convient for them and their classroom teachers.  I see some students for both hours, while others I split with another tutor.

Because our tutoring is generally considered "extra curricular," most families pay for sessions out of pocket, though in some instances insurance will reimburse them.  Because of this, I want to be very sensitive to the needs of the families and not create "one more thing" students do.  I am not planning on including students with extreme memory difficulties or students I see at school.  My focus is on students I see for writing tutoring, but will offer a modified instruction to others.

Enough talk. What's the plan, (wo)man?

  • Week of August 26: Create blog (check).  Update (check) and submit IRB forms. Obtain informed consent forms from parents and students. 
  • Week of September 3: Complete student writing attitude surveys, interviews, and initial writing samples.  Begin intervention instruction, if time allows.
  • Week of September 10: Continue intervention instruction, collecting data through field notes and copies of student writing.  Analyze, reflect on, and refine instruction as needed.
  • Week of September 24: Administer mid-point assessment (writing sample). Continue cycle of instruction, analyzing, reflection, refining.
  • Week of October 17: Administer post-instruction assessment (final writing sample). Complete post-instruction interview. Begin work on final paper.
  • Week of October 31: Schedule presentation to full-time instructors, creating an action plan for future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment